NEWS DIGEST 25.07.2021: Today’s main UK news stories

Hello readers. This Sunday our news is brought to you by NewsNow – UK Latest News.

Residents have been allowed to return to their homes and businesses have reopened after a Second World War bomb was disposed of at an East Yorkshire housing development. Humberside Police said the live device was found on Thursday morning at a building site off Rawcliffe Road in Goole and the area was cordoned off until it was detonated on Saturday afternoon. A team from 521 EOD Squadron, 11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal and Search Regiment from Catterick Garrison was requested by the police force, to assist with the controlled explosion. Humberside Police said the Explosive Ordnance Disposal team confirmed the bomb was live at Beales Homes development site on Thursday evening. “We can confirm that a British Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal team was called out to a location on Rawcliff Road, Goole at the request of Humberside Police.”WWII Bomb Found In East Yorkshire Detonated By Army (Forces Net)

Photo by asim alnamat on Pexels.com

BRITISH health secretary Sajid Javid was accused of insulting coronavirus victims on Sunday after urging people to take a Covid-19 vaccine and “learn to live with, rather than cower from, this virus”. Javid, who replaced Matt Hancock as health secretary last month after his predecessor stepped down for breaking Covid rules by kissing an aide in his office, began his job by urging people to learn to live with the virus. Britain, which has one of the highest official Covid death tolls, has shifted its strategy to fight coronavirus from using restrictions to limit its spread to opening up society in the hope vaccines will protect most people from serious illness. Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour Party, was one of several lawmakers from opposition parties and people who have lost family members to the pandemic to criticise his use of the phrase “cower from”. “So how dare you denigrate people for trying to keep themselves and their families safe.”Sajid Javid sparks furore by urging people not to ‘cower from’ Covid (Eastern Eye)

French police have asked for the dental records of a missing British hiker following the discovery of possible human remains in the Pyrenees, the woman’s mother said. Esther Dingley, 37, had been walking alone in the mountains near the Spanish and French border and was last seen on 22 November. Her mother, Ria Bryant, 74, moved to the Pyrenees in June to help search for Dingley. Radio Huesca, a regional station, reported last week that two Spanish hikers had found a skull with long hair lying among boulders on the French approach to Port de la Glere, a high mountain pass. Police searched the site but could not find anything belonging to Dingley, including her clothes, her bright yellow tent and her grey and red rucksack – Esther Dingley: French police ask for dental records of missing British hiker (The Guardian)

An incident on a Carrickfergus fairground ride which injured six people, including three children, was caused by teenagers misusing equipment, according to the attraction organisers. The ride at the Planet Fun attraction at Carrickfergus Castle swung beyond its perimeter and struck a number of signs belonging to the structure. Planet Fun confirmed on Sunday the park has been cleared to reopen after an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive and blamed the incident on the “misuse” of equipment by “several teenagers”. “The incident tonight was caused by misuse of equipment by the behaviour of several teenagers on the attraction and is to be further investigated by the PSNI (Police Service of Northern Ireland).” Geoff Somerville from the NIFRS said approximately 200 people were in attendance at the Carrickfergus Castle attraction and about 10 people were injured “possibly” by the ride – ‘Behaviour’ of teenagers and ‘misuse’ of equipment blamed for Carrickfergus ride malfunction (Belfast Telegraph)

Nearly six million holidaymakers could have their summer plans ruined if Spain and Greece follow France onto the ‘amber plus’ list. Labour’s shadow transport secretary Jim McMahon said: ‘Not only have they failed to protect our borders, allowing Covid cases to rocket – they also refuse to be straight with the public and give them the information they need to book travel with confidence, with clear information on the direction of travel of infections in each country’. The opposition estimated the number of people to have booked holidays to those three nations by looking at official data for past travel and adjusting for lower willingness to travel during the pandemic by comparing with surveys. A Department for Transport spokesman said: ‘The travel list allocations have not changed for Spain or Greece’ ‘We are closely monitoring the data and will take swift action on travel list allocations and international travel requirements should the data show that countries’ risk to England has changed’6,000,000 holidays to Spain and Greece facing ruin if travel rules change again (Metro News UK)

Summarised with SMMRY.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.