Good morning everyone. Today’s news comes from Facebook.
East London has experienced serious flooding over the past five years, with families forced to flee their homes after rain water swept through the area. The 999 control room of the London Fire Brigade took more than 1,000 calls to flooding incidents across London as heavy downpours wrought havoc across the city in the most recent flooding these past few days. June 2021 In June areas of east London were destroyed following severe flooding in Havering and Dagenham – including a “tornado” in Barking. Heavy rainfall caused a sewer to flood in Brooklands Walk, Romford. Picture: Havering Council Heavy rainfall caused a sewer to flood in Brooklands Walk, Romford in 2019. Families in Seven Kings, Ilford tried desperately to stop water coming into their homes as the properties flooded following torrential rain. In Newham in June 2016, roads were left gridlocked after heavy rain flooded parts of the A13 and areas of Canning Town, including Tyas Road, Exning Road and Tabernacle Avenue – A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016 (Ilford Recorder News Weather)
Work will begin shortly on the next track renewal project at Thuxton station on the Mid-Norfolk Railway in east England. The preparatory works has been ongoing for a while and the main work is due to begin soon and last for approximately four days. The work, the latest in a programme of upgrades to the permanent way and associated infrastructure between Wymondham South Junction and Dereham, will see the replacement of the ‘down’ running line north of the level crossing at Thuxton station with concrete sleepers and flat bottom rail to the passing loop point. The major track works will be conducted by contractor Sonic Rail Services, with the railway’s own working members assisting. “With the successful conclusion of this part of the project by the railway’s S&T volunteers, another important step towards the long-term ambition to re-signal the whole line has been made. Our attention turns now to the resignalling of Dereham station and the yard. Much work has already been completed there and we anticipate to fully commission the Dereham Central Signal box soon.” Richard Pike, Head of Signalling & Telegraph Mid-Norfolk Railway As the Mid-Norfolk Railway expands, there are always plenty of opportunities for volunteers to become involved in the railway”, said Richard Pike, the head of signalling & telegraph for the Mid-Norfolk Railway – Thuxton track renewal works (Mid-Norfolk Railway MNR)
A man in his 50s has been arrested on suspicion of firearms offences. Last night (July 27), National Crime Agency (NCA) officers carried out a search warrant at a house on Fencepiece Road in the Hainault district of Ilford and arrested the man. The crime agency confirmed the investigation is ongoing. Eyewitnesses told this paper they had seen NCA officers going into a house wearing boiler suits, as well as a number of vehicles parked along the road – Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences (Ilford Recorder News)
Simone Biles has sensationally quit tomorrow night’s individual all-round event and will not be able to defend her Olympic title. ‘After further medical evaluation, Simone Biles has withdrawn from the final individual all-around competition at the Tokyo Olympic Games, in order to focus on her mental health,’ USA Gymnastics said in a statement. Will Simone Biles continue ANY of her individual quests for gold? Gymnast’s finals thrown into doubt after her shock withdrawal from the team final and tomorrow’s all-round, Simone Biles’ future at the Tokyo Olympics is in serious doubt. Three-time Olympic medallist Paul Gasol, who is a Spanish basketball player, also sent a message to Biles, writing: ‘All my support to Simone Biles‘. Biles – who had been expected to lead the US to gold – was withdrawn from the lineup after flubbing her vault in the opening minutes of the team final competition in Tokyo on Tuesday – Simone Biles WITHDRAWS from the individual all-around competition at the Tokyo Olympics to ‘focus on her mental health’ – just a day after dramatically pulling out during team event (Mail Online Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics Sport Olympics)
Ilford North MP Wes Streeting has returned to work cancer-free following a successful operation and treatment. The 38-year-old Labour MP said he is “fighting fit” when he announced he would also be returning to the shadow cabinet in his role as shadow child poverty secretary. In a video message posted to his social media, he said: “I’m really pleased to let you know that I’m back at work, fighting fit and cancer-free. “I just count my lucky stars really.” “I’ve lost a kidney but I’ve also got rid of the cancer.” “So, I’m back, back in action here in Ilford North working for my constituents and back in action in Labour’s shadow cabinet too.” In early March, a scan taken during kidney stone treatment identified a lump on Mr Streeting’s kidney and a month later he was diagnosed with kidney cancer. He announced on May 14, only a week after his promotion to the shadow cabinet, that he would be stepping back from work for his treatment. He added: “I’ll be honest, I wasn’t expecting anything like the overwhelming response that my family and I received when my kidney cancer diagnosis went public. “I also want to say, probably the biggest thanks of all to Ravi Barod, David Cullen and all of the NHS staff at the Royal Free Hospital, who supported me throughout my treatment” – Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation (Ilford Recorder News)
Summarised with SMMRY.