Blog Archives

BRENDAN MASON: Man attacked and killed by ‘friends’

gb

Leicester, UNITED KINGDOM
VIJAY SHAH via JEN MILLS and Metro

A Leicester man with learning difficulties was lured to his death by two so-called friends who savagely beat him for kicks, U.K. newspaper Metro reports today.

Brendan Mason was taken along to Abbey Park by two men, Joshua Hack (aged 21) and Keith Lowe (aged 22) on the pretext of spending some time together, on July 5th last year. Once they arrived at the park, they began attacking him, hanging him from a tree and then took turns striking him, while the other held Matthews still. They also laughed at and taunted the victim, as well as filming the incident, telling Mason to ‘smile for the camera’.

 

 

The victim then fell unconscious. Hack and Lowe proceeded to strip Mason of his clothes, removed him from the tree and then dumped him in the park’s lake. The park’s grounds workers found him at 7.40 am, bleeding and naked. He was airlifted to Walsgrave Hospital in Coventry, but died from the injuries. Medics there said Mason had a catalogue of 99 injuries on his head and body, including brain damage, five broken ribs and a punctured lung.

Joshua Hack, from Beaumont Leys, Leicester, admitted murder, but his accomplice, who hails from Crown Hills district of the same city, refused to plead guilty and was put on trial last week. Four days into the trial, Keith Lowe changed his plea after police offered up damning new evidence in the form of a video shot on the defendant’s iPhone.

“Officers were able to see the video on the Cloud, showing an unfortunate scene,” prosecutor Miranda Moore QC said.

‘It shows Brendan’s battered and naked body with Lowe landing blows.’

She added: “It was being made for a third party to show them what happened to Brendan.”

Messages from the murderers’ Facebook show at 2.46am Hack said to Lowe: “Just do it dude.”

Lowe replied: “Shall we do it because he’s f** me off with the lies.”

Moore further explained to the court: “They were using their phones to communicate because Brendan doesn’t know what’s about to happen to him.”

Brendan Mason’s death was attributed to ‘unsurvivable’ brain damage, Metro stated.

After the court case, senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Mick Graham said: “Brendan was known to the defendants and considered them as friends, and they lured him to the park with the full intention of hurting him.”

The Mason family released a statement, saying “It is not right how two evil people can do such a horrific thing and leave a massive hole in our lives that will never be filled again.

‘Brendan was a lovely young man and he was so happy. He had numerous learning difficulties and very poor vision.

‘Even though Brendan had numerous learning difficulties and was very easily led by others, he always knew right from wrong.

‘The police have been a big part of our life for the past seven months; they have been amazing, but there will never be closure for us”

The two defendants will be sentenced tomorrow at Leicester Crown Court.

 

SOURCES:
Metro, Facebook, Facebook Inc. https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/
“Friends hung man with learning difficulties from tree and beat him to death” – Jen Mills, Metro/Associated Newspapers Limited (19 February 2017) http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/19/friends-hung-man-with-learning-difficulties-from-tree-and-beat-him-to-death-6457997/?ito=facebook
IMAGE CREDIT:
“Police Line Do Not Cross” – Pexels (26 July 2016) https://www.pexels.com/photo/police-line-do-not-cross-132752/

NORTH TURKEY POLICE ATTACK: Two police officers murdered by unknown assailants

 

Trabzon, TURKEY
VIJAY SHAH via Ace Worldwide News Group/Dogan News Agency/Hurriyet

As Turkey still reels from several bombings in Istanbul and Ankara and an attempted coup by a faction of the armed forces last Friday, more tragedy struck today as a number of ‘unknown assailants’ opened fire on a group of police officers in the Maçka district of Trabzon province in northern Turkey, which borders the Black Sea. Two officers were reported killed, according to the English-language version of the newspaper Hürriyet, via Ace Worldwide News Group and local news organisation, the Doğan News Agency.

 

The police officers were conducting road checks when the gunmen opened fire on them from a nearby forest. Two officers were killed on the spot and five other officers and a passing civilian were injured. Extra police and ambulances were drafted in. Locals angered by the atrocity and spurred on by the recent failed coup, took up arms and proceeded to the forest to find the killers. Clashes were reported, however there is no word as to the fate of the gunmen.

Last Friday, a coup was instigated by members of the Turkish army opposed to the government of president Tayyip Recep Erdogan. While the president was on holiday in the Mediterranean port of Marmaris, soldiers and army officers were seen driving tanks down main streets in Ankara, the country’s capital, and road blocks were set up in Istanbul. An F-16 bomber plane even aimed gunfire at the Turkish parliament. The rebellion was quickly put down, with around 200 people killed and more than a 1,000 injured. Since then, Erdogan has vowed to flush the ‘virus’ of rebellion out of the armed forces and police. Thousands have been arrested or dismissed from their posts, with some senior army officers fleeing to nearby Greece.

It is not known if the Maçka attackers were connected to the coup, or to Kurdish rebels or Daesh, both of whom have a history of launching fatal attacks on Turkish soil. The Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) usually launch attacks on army or police attachments and patrols, but their attacks are largely confined to the Turkish part of Kurdistan.

SOURCES:
Vijay Shah { विजय }, Twitter, Twitter Inc. https://twitter.com/VShah1984
#AceBreakingNews ‏Twitter, Twitter Inc. https://twitter.com/AceBreakingNews
“#Breaking144 – Unknown assailants opened fire on #police officers in Maçka district of the Black Sea province of Trabzon, #killing two #policemen – Hurriyet – @AceBreakingNews” – #Breaking144 @Breaking144, Ace Worldwide News Group (19 July 2016) https://acebreakingnews.wordpress.com/2016/07/19/breaking144-unknown-assailants-opened-fire-on-police-officers-in-macka-district-of-the-black-sea-pr-ovince-of-trabzon-killing-two-policemen-hurriyet-acebreakingnews/
“Two police officers in killed in attack in Turkey’s north” – Doğan News Agency via Hürriyet Daily News (19 July 2016) http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/two-police-officers-in-killed-in-attack-in-turkeys-north.aspx?pageID=238&nid=101788
IMAGE CREDIT:
“File:Turkish police forces.jpg” – Mahmut Bozarslan via Voice of America and Wikimedia Commons (18 January 2016) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Turkish_police_forces.jpg

CHARLOTTE HIGH SCHOOL FIGHT: Clash between American schoolchildren; officer caught on camera as police intervene

 

Charlotte, UNITED STATES
VIJAY SHAH via News Locker, Mirror Online and WSOCTV

British newspaper The Daily Mirror reports today on a shocking video of students fighting at a high school in Charlotte, North Carolina, USA.

The ‘brutal’ and ‘savage’ brawl led to the arrest of a 15-year-old pupil as well as the discovery of a set of brass knuckles by the school’s policing team after the fight took place, putting the school on lockdown.

The video footage shows the fight being broken up by a school police officer at Harding University High School in Charlotte, North Carolina. The officer is seen struggling with the student before placing him in handcuffs. Students scream and curse as arms go flying. The officer is seen grappling with and restraining the pupil who is later seen lying on the floor, as another student off-camera shouts “Get off of him”, as a large crowd assembled. Local news station TWC News reported that brass knuckles were later found among the pupil’s possessions in the clearup after the fight, suggesting perhaps that the disorder was preplanned.

Stunned by the incident, and amid increasing violence involving weaponry in schools all over the developed world, parents of pupils at Harding University High had expressed their concerns over safety. One parent told WSOCTV news station that she wanted to see security at the school ‘beefed-up’.

“It’s difficult, because it seems like the same problem keeps happening over and over again,” said the parent.

The student has been charged with assault on a police officer, simple assault, resisting arrest, and weapons charges. For reasons of age, his name and other particulars had not been reported.

The school’s principal (headteacher) Eric Ward issued a statement regarding the fight. In it he said “Several students became engaged in a physical altercation during transition to third period.”

“The altercation was a serious one and one of our school resource officers and several staff members intervened to break up the situation and restore order.

“I take this incident and any issues involving student and staff safety at our school very seriously.

“School staff and CMPD (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department) are determining further details and disciplinary action will be taken as necessary.”

It is not known if any other students have been arrested or expelled from school over the incident. The officer is also under investigation, according to WSOCTV.

SOURCES:
Vijay Shah { विजय }, Twitter, Twitter Inc. https://twitter.com/VShah1984
newslocker_uknews, Twitter, Twitter Inc. https://twitter.com/newslock_uknews
“Brutal high school brawl caught on camera as school cop breaks up scrapping teens” – Sam Webb, Mirror – News – World News  – Schools/Mirror Online (21 November 2015) via News Locker  – UK news http://www.newslocker.com/en-uk/news/uk_news/brutal-high-school-brawl-caught-on-camera-as-school-cop-breaks-up-scrapping-teens/view/
“VIDEO: Fight caught on camera inside Charlotte school” – Allison Latos, 9wsoctv.com – Home – News – Local/9WSOCTV/Cox Media Group Television/Cox Media Group (20 November 2015) http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/video-fight-caught-camera-inside-charlotte-school/npRSf/

EAST HAM RACIST ASSAULT: Three teenagers attacked outside pub

The families of three teenagers who were targeted in a racially-motivated attack outside an East Ham public house are appealing for witnesses who saw the assault, reports the Newham Recorder this week.

Stephanie Villegas and Hollie Vincent, both aged sixteen years, were walking down the High Street South, a major road linking East Ham with Canning Town, with their cousin Rohan Reda (aged 17), when two older men began hurling racist abuse at them as they walked past the White Horse pub, opposite East Ham’s Central Park. The incident occurred at around 6 pm on Thursday 11th June.

The teenagers then claimed that the two men approached them, punched them, and then threw them to the floor in the unprovoked attack.

English: East Ham High St. This is a photo of ...

English: East Ham High St. This is a photo of High St North East Ham, taken looking south towards the station. Sibley Grove is on the left. The pub on the corner is amusingly named the Overdraft Tavern (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

“It was disgusting. We had already walked past them once”

“A little while after, we walked past them again and that’s when it started. They were older men, at least in their forties” Hollie told a reporter from the Newham Recorder. Hollie’s cousin Rohan, who is of mixed heritage, was then subjected to a racial slur.

Hollie, who had recently graduated from her studies at local Brampton Manor Academy (formerly Brampton Manor School) recalled in the interview that the attack began when one of the men accused Rohan of ‘eyeballing’ him, meaning that the attacker thought that the 17-year-old was looking at him in a contemptuous way. The men then began following the three teens down High Street South and one is said to have thrown an apple at the teenagers as they tried to avoid a confrontation with the racists. Hollie then tried to confront the men over their behaviour.

“That is when we asked them to leave us alone, but he punched me in the face and I fell to the ground” Hollie narrated.

During the attack, the Newham Reporter also states that Stephanie’s hair was pulled, her phone was smashed and that the thugs also snatched a chain from around Rohan’s neck.

Hollie added “I’ve lived in this area my whole life but have never seen anything like it”

“The worst thing was people were actually standing there and watching, but finally two schoolboys came to help us”

“All three of us were assaulted. It was a racist attack against my cousin and I just don’t understand how two grown men assault two young girls”.

As of publishing date by the Newham Recorder, there have been no arrests made and police inquiries are still ongoing. Local police are appealing for witnesses to come forward in confidence.

Anyone with information about the East Ham incident should call police on 101 or alternatively, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. You do not have to give your name or any identifying details.

SOURCE:
“Three teenagers attacked by grown men in ‘racist’ attack” – Seema Hakim, Newham Recorder, Archant Community Media Limited (17 June 2015)
IMAGE CREDIT:
“File:East Ham High St – geograph.org.uk – 61623.jpg” –  Glyn Baker, geograph.org.uk & Wikimedia Commons (5 October 2005) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:East_Ham_High_St_-_geograph.org.uk_-_61623.jpg

MITCHAM GANG ASSAULT: Elderly dogwalker hurt after attack by animal abuser

An OAP dog owner out walking his companion on a green in Mitcham, south London suffered a fractured wrist and rib after being shoved to the ground by a group of youths as he tried to protect his dog from being attacked by one of them, the BBC reports today.

The unidentified 76-year-old victim had been walking his dog in Mitcham’s Cricket Green yesterday (Friday 6 March) at about 4 pm GMT when the attack occurred. Local police said that the man got into a confrontation with four other park users, one of whom pushed him to the ground. The younger man had first attempted to kick the victim’s dog, before turning on the victim as he stood up for his pet. The elder’s injuries required hospital treatment, the BBC says.

Local police officer Det Con Jamie McIntosh said: “This was an unprovoked and cowardly attack on an elderly man who was out walking his dog alone.

As a result of the incident the victim has been left frightened and confused.

It would have been very busy around the Cricket Green at the time of the attack and there would have been a significant amount of traffic along the A239 (motorway/highway). I am appealing to anyone who may have witnessed the attack or anyone with any information to come forward and assist us with our investigating.

Police said that the victim described the gang as being made up of two men and two women, all described as of ‘black’ ethnicity and in their early twenties. All of the group were said to be wearing dark clothing. The man who assaulted the pensioner was described as being 5 foot 11 inches (1.80 metres) tall with short black hair.

The Mitcham dogwalker has now been discharged from medical treatment. Police are appealing for witnesses to the attack. Anyone with information on the attackers or the crime can call the Merton CID (police criminal investigations team) on 0208 649 3057 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

 

SOURCES:
Vijay Shah { विजय }, Twitter, Twitter Inc. https://twitter.com/VShah1984
Lost in London, Twitter, Twitter Inc. https://twitter.com/UKNewsTweets687
“Pensioner hurt after dog trying to stop dog attack” – BBC News London, BBC (7 March 2015) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31779042
“Pensioner attacked by gang of thugs as he walked his dog in south London” – Rachel Blundy, London Evening Standard (7 March 2015) http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/pensioner-attacked-by-gang-of-thugs-as-he-walked-his-dog-in-south-london-10092819.html
IMAGE CREDITS:
Google Maps and Street View.

 

POLICEMAN ABDOOL: Mauritian police officer recalls vicious assault

A police officer on the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius has recounted a vicious attack launched upon him by local youths while on duty near the Gare du Nord area of Port Louis on February 11th, an eyewitness video of which was widely shared on social media and saw the apprehension of three of the attackers last week.

Constable Sameer Abdool, who was on traffic duty at the Trou-Fanfaron police post in the Mauritian capital, recalls how he noticed a group of young men crowding around a zebra crossing. He approached the men and asked them to be patient “for their own safety” as vehicles surged past on the city’s notoriously busy streets. They disregarded Con. Abdool’s advice and attempted to cross into the road anyway. Abdool then moved forward to stop one of the assailants for fear he would cause a road collision.

It was at that precise moment, according to the island’s French-language media group Le Defi Media, that the attack on the constable kicked off. Darren Eddy Brasse, a local youth aged 22, swung a punch at Abdool, striking the side of his head. “I received a punch to the temple, I felt nauseous“, Abdool told Le Defi. Brasse’s brother, Andy and friend Andrew Brice Samuel joined in the assault once Abdool received the blow to his head.

In the eyewitness video, captured by a passer-by with their mobile, Con. Abdool is seen grappling with one of the youths as he tries to protect himself from more punches. Brasse then throws a punch which narrowly misses Abdool as he tries to get away. Then another youth marches up to the policeman, slapping him with full force around the head. A few seconds later, a man in a red basketball vest suddenly jumps out from the crowd, putting Abdool in a headlock as a gaggle of shocked people assemble on the zebra crossing, stopping traffic. After a long period of inactivity from observers, a concerned passer-by manages to free Abdool from the fracas; his distinctive reflective uniform brace pulled out of place, the officer appears visibly shaken. Another police officer was also targeted in the melee, although the attack does not appear in the video and the officer in question has not been identified.

The video of the savage assault soon appeared on Facebook, where it went viral among islanders and Mauritians abroad. The island’s police began an investigation into the assault on Abdool. Despite the grainy video quality, the island’s police force was able to recognise the suspects.

A police raid in the area of Cité Roche-Bois on Friday and Saturday saw the Brasse brothers and Samuel arrested at their homes. Darren Brasse was interrogated by a team led by senior police officer Daniel Monvoisin, where he admitted his part in the attack on their colleague, saying that he was annoyed at being told not to cross the street by Abdool. He lost his temper and then struck the policeman, Brasse told officers.

All three are now in police custody, where they will be interviewed in connection with other crimes, Le Defi reports.

SOURCES:
HEM News Agency, The Half-Eaten Mind, Twitter, Twitter Inc. https://twitter.com/halfeatenmind/lists/hem-news-agency
Le Défi Media Group, Twitter, Twitter Inc. https://twitter.com/defimediagroup
“Agressé à la gare du Nord – Le policier Abdool : « Monn truv zekler »” – Irfaad Olitte, Le Defi Media Group (22 February 2015) http://www.defimedia.info/live-news/item/68342-agresse-a-la-gare-du-nord-le-policier-abdool-monn-truv-zekler.html
Mauricien, Facebook, Facebook Inc. https://www.facebook.com/mauricien1968
“VIDÉO SUR FACEBOOK: Une première arrestation suite à l’agression de deux policiers” – 24 Heures Info (22 February 2015) http://24heuresinfo.com/2015/02/21/video-sur-facebook-une-premiere-arrestation-suite-a-lagression-de-deux-policiers/