NEW ORLEANS SHOOTING: Three killed, several injured in attack

New Orleans – VIJAY SHAH via Sunday Herald

 

Three people have reportedly been shot dead in an incident in the United States city of New Orleans, according to an article published in a Scottish newspaper today.

Seven people have also been injured in the shootout in New Orleans, around three miles from the city’s tourist hotspot, the French Quarter, the Sunday Herald newspaper reports. The shooting occurred on Saturday (yesterday) night at the 3400 block area of Claiborne Avenue, a main road which runs the length of the city, according to a local police source, Aaron Looney.

The injured were taken to local hospitals, although their condition was not known. There is no information as yet of the perpetrators or the possible motive or motives and circumstances of the atrocity. Local police are now investigating.

New Orleans mayor LaToya Cantrell, released a statement via her mayoral office condemning the violence. The statement said: “There is no place in New Orleans for this kind of violence. I speak for everyone in our City when I say we are disgusted, we are infuriated, & we have had more than enough. Three more lives — gone. It has to end… It’s unacceptable anywhere.”

“We are grateful to those on the scene tonight: the NOPD (New Orleans Police Department), EMS (ambulance service), the chaplains and the social workers. We will dedicate any resource necessary to ending this horror and seeing justice done”.

SOURCES:

HEM Newsbreakers, HEM News Agency, Twitter, Twitter Inc. https://twitter.com/halfeatenmind/lists/hem-newsbreakers

HeraldScotland, Twitter, Twitter Inc. https://twitter.com/heraldscotland

“Three killed in New Orleans shooting” – The Herald/Sunday Herald/Herald & Times Group/Newsquest Media Group (29 July 2018) http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16384626.three-killed-in-new-orleans-shooting/

Mayor LaToya Cantrell, Twitter, Twitter Inc. https://twitter.com/mayorcantrell

 

Advertisements

THE CRIMEWAVE CONTINUES: London man shot in face, other person stabbed

London – VIJAY SHAH via GEORGIA DIEBELIUS and Metro

The crimewave of stabbings and shootings which has dominated headlines in the London area and across the United Kingdom’s media in recent months shows no sign of abating as two men were attacked in the city only last evening, the newspaper Metro reported.

In Peckham, south-east London, police and an air ambulance were called to a man who was reportedly shot in the face. Witnesses at the crime scene told Metro that a blue Ford vehicle had been cordoned off by police as part of their searches. The driver-side window was said to be shattered. Accounts of the shooting and its aftermath were shared on social media network Twitter. One commenter tweeted: “Shooting in Peckham. Apparently someone got shot in the face with a shotgun”. Another observer added: “Apparently someone has been shot in the face. I feel ill. The road is locked.”. Locals gathered around to try and help the stricken victim, who has not yet been identified.

 

Just an hour earlier in nearby Greenwich, a man was stabbed by assailants unknown. Police also attended this incident. As with the Peckham shooting, no details of the victim have yet been furnished publicly. A Metropolitan Police Service spokesperson told Metro “Police in Southwark were called to Wodehouse Avenue, SE5 at 7.56pm on Saturday, 2 June following reports of a shooting.

‘Armed police attended and found a man suffering from gun shot injuries. ‘He has been taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service. We await an update on his condition.

‘A second man was also found with injuries at the scene and has been taken to hospital for assessment. His condition is believed to be stable. ‘No arrests have been made. A crime scene remains in place. Enquiries continue.”

SOURCES:

Metro, Facebook, Facebook Inc. https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

“Man ‘shot in face’ and another ‘stabbed’ in latest attacks in London” – Georgia Diebelius, Metro/Associated Newspapers Limited (2 June 2018) https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/02/man-shot-face-another-stabbed-latest-attacks-london-7600536/

IMAGE CREDIT:

“File:Jerusalem Stabbing Attack at November 23 2015.jpg” – Israel Police and Doodoo Bo, Wikimedia Commons (23 November 2015) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Jerusalem_Stabbing_Attack_at_November_23_2015.jpg

LONDON STABBING EPIDEMIC: Sixth teen attacked in just 1.5 hours

London – VIJAY SHAH via MARK HODGE, ALEX MATTHEWS and The Sun

Six teenagers were stabbed in the space of just ninety minutes as the UK capital of London experienced a wave of violence largely against young people, giving the city a higher murder rate than New York for the first time in modern history.

Tabloid newspaper The Sun reported that six youths were stabbed in just 1 1/2 hours yesterday, including a boy of just 13 years of age, who was left fighting for his life. The wave of stabbings began with a man in his twenties being attacked in the east London district of Walthamstow, The Sun stated.

 

The stabbing of the 20-something happened on Friday lunchtime. Then at 5.30 pm local time, a 15-year-old was stabbed in East India Dock Road in the Poplar area of east London, followed by three males, two aged just fifteen, attacked in Grove Road, Mile End thirty minutes later. Then at exactly 6.57 pm, the thirteen-year-old was stabbed in Newham, east London, and was quickly taken to hospital by ambulance where he is in a ‘critical condition’. Then ten minutes later, another teenage male was stabbed in Ealing Broadway, west London, taking Friday’s toll of casualties to seven in the space of a handful of hours, according to Sun reporters.

In Ealing Broadway, a witness told The Sun Online how they chanced upon one of yesterday’s stabbing victims lying in a pool of his own blood. The woman, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “Before I saw him, I heard a commotion as I approached but thought nothing of it.

“But then when I got there I saw a young male lying with blood visibly on his chest.

“And when I spoke to another witness, she said she saw three men fighting and two of them ran off after the chap had been stabbed three times.

“She said he had been stabbed once in the heart, or chest area, once in the stomach and once in the upper thigh.

“He didn’t move at all. It was really eerie. He was just very still for the whole time I was there.”

She added: “Youngsters don’t see the value in life at the moment.”

In Walthamstow, where the stabbing spree kicked off, police and ambulance crews and vehicles were reported to be ‘swarming’ over the site of the incident. Locals took to social media network Twitter to give their accounts and shock at the senseless violence. 

One witness said: “Another Stabbing on my road in Walthamstow. This is getting out of hand.

Another resident added: “Good lord, another stabbing in Walthamstow. Stay safe if you’re in London these next few days, very scary.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: “Officers and LAS attended the location.

“The victim – believed to be aged in his 20s – has been taken to hospital.

“We await an update as to his condition.”

The wave of stabbings and shootings in London over the past few weeks saw an innocent young woman, Tanesha Melbourne-Blake, aged only 17, gunned down by unknown assailants while chatting with a group of friends outside near her home in Tottenham, north London. She was believed to have been caught in the crossfire of a gangland feud between rival gangs in Tottenham and the neighbouring Wood Green, a phenomenon the British media had referred to as ‘postcode wars’.

Last Monday, Amaan Shakoor, aged 16, was shot dead after a gunman blasted him in the face outside a leisure centre in Walthamstow in a gangland killing. Friends believed he was the victim of mistaken identity. Also yesterday, Israel Ogunsola, eighteen years, was stabbed near his home in Homerton, east London. He was believed to have been friends with Tanesha Melbourne-Blake.

Scotland Yard said it is currently investigating 55 suspected murders since the beginning of 2018 – including the deaths of two children whose bodies were found in Sussex.

The Met police and London Mayor Sadiq Khan are under increasing pressure to put an end to the bloodshed after eight murder probes were launched in London in January, 15 in February and 22 in March.

SOURCES:

Sherrie Bachell via Facebook.

“BLOODY SPREE London knife crime worsens – Seven stabbed including SIX in 90 minutes as boy aged just THIRTEEN left fighting for his life” – Mark Hodge and Alex Matthews, The Sun/News UK/News Group Newspapers Limited (6 April 2018) https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5981153/mile-end-stabbing-attack-walthamstow-london-latest/

IMAGE CREDIT:

“Scotland Police Cordon” – Michel Curi, Flickr (22 December 2014) https://www.flickr.com/photos/119886413@N05/16056676866

BATUCO ROBBERY: Yoga instructor kills two burglars in self-defence

Batuco, CHILE
VIJAY SHAH via Associated Press and Daily Mail

A Kundalini yoga instructor in Chile allegedly shot dead two burglars in her home after four men attacked the property to rob it, the Daily Mail newspaper reported via AP this Friday.

Hari Nam Kaur Khalsa, a convert to Sikhism from Texas, USA who has been living in Chile since 1979, was in her bedroom at the property in Batuco, 20 miles north of the Chilean capital Santiago, when four men broke into her home the previous Thursday. The 61-year-old, who is a martial arts expert and studied sociology in her native country, was taken by surprise by the burglars, who struck her in the head with a firearm, the Daily Mail reported.

 

 

She was then tied up, but managed to free herself, and in an act of self defence, picked up a registered Taurus model revolver she owned, and gunned down two of the robbers. The gunshots caused the two others to flee the house. One news site, Emol.com said one of the robbers was shot five times. Dallas News reported that a second man collapsed and died in Khalsa’s front garden.

Local police have said that Khalsa will not be charged over the incident at her home, as she is considered to have acted in ‘legitimate self-defence’ under Chilean law. Prosecutor Osvaldo Soto said she will be allowed to remain free, but will be allocated a security escort in case of revenge attacks by associates of the four men who tried to rob her.

“This is not a grandma as you can imagine,” Jose Nuñez, who manages the condominium where she lives told local press.

“So don’t be imagining a little grandma who killed two crooks with her cane.”

The men who were killed have not been identified. Khalsa has refused to speak further about the incident.

SOURCES:
“American yoga instructor, 61, shoots dead two of four burglars after they broke into her home in Chile” – Associated Press via Mail Online News/Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group/Associated Newspapers Ltd (25 November 2016) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3972488/US-yoga-instructor-kills-2-burglars-self-defense-Chile.html
Sherrie Bachell.
IMAGE CREDIT:
“Sunset yoga” – graham, Flickr (10 July 2007) https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamking/826142536

 

 

PARIS MASSACRES: 150 believed killed in terrorist atrocity

Paris, FRANCE
VIJAY SHAH via Rediff News & Google News

The French capital is in mourning today after a coordinated attack by terrorists said to be allied with the so-called Islamic State on bars, restaurants and the Stade de France left around 150 people dead. Most of the fatalities occurred at a Cambodian restaurant where terrorists armed with AK-47s gunned down diners and tourists as they dined. Suicide bombs were also set off at one of Paris‘ largest stadia, the Stade de France, where a football match between France and Germany was taking place. Gunmen also targetted a death metal concert, shooting at concert goers as they fled screaming.

The news has sent ripples of shock and disgust throughout the world, and social media posts urged people to pray for Paris and France, as well as the victims. Another 180 people have been hospitalised, many of them with serious injuries.

(c) Sebastien Amiet/Wikimedia Commons

Indian news service Rediff.com reports that sets of terrorists, some carrying guns and others wearing bombs strapped to vests, attacked seven sites around central Paris. One of these is believed to be the Avenue de la Republique, popular with tourists and packed as Paris gears up for the Christmas season.

Rediff reported that the worst carnage took place on yesterday night (Friday 14th November) as gunmen stormed a concert where am American death metal band were performing. Dozens of fans were taken hostage, and the terrorists were reported as hurling grenades at panicked concertgoers as they tried to flee the venue. The Parisian gendarmerie later stormed the Bataclan concert hall building, killing three attackers, reeling in horror at the bloody scenes that unfolded before them last night. Pictures taken after the siege show police securing the road just outside the Bataclan and establishing a perimeter.

The prosecutor of Paris, Francois Molins, said that five attackers have been killed. Other reports said six militants had been taken down, but no-one has yet determined how many took part in the atrocities or if any gunmen are still at large.

In five other shootings, it was reported that 38 were murdered. These took place in the 10th and 11th arrondissements (districts) of Paris, an area comparable to outlying parts of central London. Two explosions occurred outside the Stade de France, where the France vs. Germany match was in attendance by the country’s president Francois Hollande. Reports of casualties at the stadium have not yet been confirmed by police or the prosecutor’s office, but spectators were seen vacating the stadium in droves.

It is not yet known who exactly was behind the attacks, but the president believes that IS were responsible. Some reports claim that IS have claimed responsibility, hours after British IS member Mohammed al-Emwazi, popularly known as ‘Jihadi John’ was allegedly killed in a drone rocket strike in Raqqah, Syria.

Following the attacks, Hollande declared a nationwide state of emergency, the first in many years and today also instituted a three-day period of mourning for the many who lost their lives going about their daily business. President Hollande also ordered the closing of France’s borders to prevent any remaining gunmen from fleeing. Paris has gone into virtual shutdown with the city’s Metro train service as well as schools, universities and government building closed down today.

Hollande who was led to safety as the Stade de France attack unfolded, spoke on French television to say that the country would stand firm and united.

“This is a terrible ordeal that again assails us,” he said. “We know where it comes from, who these criminals are, who these terrorists are.”

He later visited the Bataclan hall, and said that France would wage a ‘merciless’ fight against terrorist forces. Thousands of police, paramedics and doctors were put on immediate emergency duty and all leave of absence was cancelled. Around 1,500 army reinforcements were brought into Paris and hospitals were getting ready for the influx of injured.

  • IS have claimed responsibility, saying that the attacks were in revenge for Western and Arab state-led strikes against their operatives in Syria. They have lauded the atrocity as an ‘act of war’.
  • All sporting fixtures in Paris have been cancelled.
  • Several cities including London, Melbourne in Australia, New York and Dublin, Ireland have lit up buildings in the colours of the French tricouleur in solidarity with Paris.
  • UAE president Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a telegram stating that the Paris teror attacks are against all of humanity. Governments, including those from the UK and US have also expressed their horror at the atrocities.
SOURCES:
Francois Gautier, Facebook, Facebook Inc. https://www.facebook.com/francoisgautierofficial/?fref=nf
“Bloodbath in Paris: Over 150 dead as terrorists plan Mumbai-style attacks” – Rediff News/Rediff.com (14 November 2015) http://www.rediff.com/news/report/pix-bloodbath-in-paris-hundreds-dead-in-mumbai-style-attacks/20151114.htm
Google News.
IMAGE CREDIT:
“File:Marche hommage Charlie hebdo et aux victimes des attentats de janvier 2015 (31).jpg” – Sébastien Amiet (sébastien amiet;l), nikleitz2009 & Paris 16, Wikimedia Commons (11 January 2015) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Marche_hommage_Charlie_hebdo_et_aux_victimes_des_attentats_de_janvier_2015_(31).jpg