London, UNITED KINGDOM
VIJAY SHAH via British Asians UK
A man from London who described himself as ‘savage’ in currently on trial after stabbing his best friend to death after being teased about losing a match on the video football game FIFA, news site British Asians UK reports.
Azeem Issa, aged 22, lunged at Sahill Roy, 28 after they squabbled over the game. Issa, who was a frequent cannabis user, plunged a knife into Roy’s neck, fatally wounding him, the Old Bailey senior court heard. Roy was due to get married. The argument which led to the killing had happened two days earlier, it was reported.
The court found that after the dispute over the football game match, Roy cut himself off from his former friend, refusing to take his calls and not answering the door when Azeem Issa showed up at his house. Issa was said to have been angered by Roy disowning him, accusing the deceased of ‘taking the p***s’ with him.
Eventually they did meet up on April 10, 2016, Issa pulled out a bladed weapon in the heat of a second argument and attacked Roy, striking him in the right shoulder and then again in the right side of his neck. The attack was said to have been sparked by Roy’s refusal to show Issa a cannabis grinder he owned.
The court Prosecutor Riel Karmy Jones QC narrated the story of the argument between the two friends to the jury.
Mr Roy had invited Issa and other friend’s to his home to play video games on his X Box.
“There was some disagreement about which game they would play, FIFA or UFC (Ultimate Fighting Champion)”, she said.
“Ricardo (Azeem Issa’s nickname) got irritated because he couldn’t play the game he wanted. In the end they gave him the spliff to stop him moaning.
“They played the game and at one point Ricardo got wound up because Sahill was teasing him about losing.”
Issa left Roy’s home, seething that he felt Roy had ‘disrespected’ him for laughing at his loss in the game.
On the day of the attack, Mr Issa had met up with some acquaintances, including Mr Roy, to smoke cannabis joints on the housing estate in which they all lived.
Prosecutor Jones, continued: “Before the meeting, the defendant had been in an agitated mood, and had been desperate to find Sahill, who it seemed had been trying to avoid him.
The victim and Issa became embroiled in a row, and started pushing each other, it was said.
“In an outburst of temper, the defendant pulled out a knife that he had concealed on his person, and stabbed Mr Roy twice.”
Issa then hurriedly left the scene, while Roy’s friends desperately carried him to a nearby communal car park, where he somehow fell to the ground, bleeding profusely from the injuries Issa caused. Despite emergency services attending, Roy died the same day.
Issa has eight previous convictions, including for possession of an offensive weapon, attempted robbery and assault, the court heard. The defendant denies intending to commit murder.
The trial continues.
British Asians UK, Facebook, Facebook Inc. https://www.facebook.com/BritishAsiansUK/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf
“Man who calls himself ‘savage’ stabbed his friend to death after being teased for losing at FIFA” – British Asians UK http://britishasiansuk.com/man-stabbed-his-friend-to-death-after-being-teased-for-losing-at-fifa-game/
“TQ3181 : The Old Bailey” – Nigel Cox, geograph (23 May 2010) http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1884025
VIJAY SHAH via TOP FM
A homeless person has reportedly been found dead under a parked bus on the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius, local radio station Top FM reports. The body of a 63-year-old man, identified locally by his first name Raju was found this morning underneath a bus parked at a petrol station in the village of Rose Belle in Grand Port district, 10 kilometres west of district capital Mahébourg, in Mauritius’ south east.
It is not yet known how the victim died, or whether he was struck by the vehicle. Raju’s body was taken by ambulance to a hospital in Candos, in the western town of Quatre-Bornes, where an autopsy to determine cause of death will be performed.
The country’s police force have opened an inquiry to get to the bottom of the Rose Belle tragedy.
It is not known how many homeless people there are in Mauritius, but some estimates state around 500-700 nationally.
Radio Plus – Mauritius/Ile-Maurice, Facebook, Facebook Inc. https://www.facebook.com/groups/radioplusilemaurice/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf
“Rose Belle: A Homeless Found Dead Under A Parked Bus” – Top FM Radio (10 September 2016) http://topfmradio.mu/2016/09/10/rose-belle-a-homeless-found-dead-under-a-parked-bus/
Yogesh Kumar Ramsahye.
“Rose belle transport – Bus Mauritius – IMG_6111” – Egidio Maurizio, Flickr (17 June 2014) https://www.flickr.com/photos/egidiomaurizio/16456507113
VIJAY SHAH via Index on Citizenship
Free expression advocate Index on Citizenship has launched a campaign this month to free several Turkish journalists who have been detained in the wake of the failed coup against president Recep Tayyip Erdogan which took place in July with the loss of 250 lives. In the crackdown that followed, thousands of police officers, generals, military stuff and others have been fired, transferred and arrested as the Erdogan administration seeks to purge the country of coup plotters and supporters.
On the 2nd September (this past Friday), the final leg of a trial involving several news personnel took place in an unnamed location, most likely Istanbul. Ahmet Altan, Yasemin Çongar and Yıldıray Oğur, who were senior editors of Taraf newspaper before the coup, and two journalists Mehmet Baransu and Tuncay Opçin. They are on trial for “acquiring, destroying and divulging documents concerning the security of the state and its political interests”. Baransu and Opçin are also facing further charges of “membership and administration of a terrorist organization”, which could see them facing 75 years behind bars. The dissemination charges attract possible 50-year prison terms.
Their charges predate the 15th July military coup attempt, but Index on Citizenship claim that the trial of the newspaper staff is politically motivated and have demanded the immediate release of the five and the abolishment of all charges against them. Mehmet Baransu has been held in pre-trial detention since his arrest on 2 March 2015. Since the declaration of Turkey’s State of Emergency by the president, around a hundred journalists have been detained, Index on Citizenship claims.
The Istanbul Criminal High Court, which was overseeing the trial, had released a 276 page document of indictment detailing the charges against the five journalists. The charges of acquiring and disseminating state documents relate to an obscure military strategy called the Egemen Operation plan, which is said to have detailed the Turkish military response to an invasion by neighbour Greece. However the newspaper at the centre of the allegations, Taraf, did not publish even a single extract of the Egemen plan; a fact acknowledged by the court, and the plan officially expired in 2007, from when the Taraf journalists obtained a copy. Incidentally, the plan was put into public circulation by another unnamed court following an indictment relating to another case in 2011.
The court also claims that Baransu and Opcin are charged with membership and promotion of the Gülenist Terror Organisation (Fetullahçı Terör Örgütü, FETÖ), the group that the Turkish government accuses of being behind the failed coup in July. The Turkish government has only listed FETÖ as a ‘terrorist organisation’ since May 2016, many years after the original ‘offences’ took place.
Index on Citizenship has criticised the Taraf trial on grounds of mismanagement, document plagiarism and weak and circumstantial evidence. The IoC claims that incidents not relating to the charges were used as evidence by the prosecution. No facts were mentioned by the court in relation to the charges of aiding and abetting FETÖ, despite the seriousness of these charges under Turkish law. IoC also alleges that large parts of the Taraf indictment against the five journalists was plagiarised from an earlier indictment against two other editors, Can Dündar and Erdem Gül, from the popular daily Cumhuriyet, who were jailed for five years for allegedly whistleblowing secret Turkish arms deals into Syria, said to have been handled by the Turkish Intelligence Service (MIT). The blatant plagiarism, involving both text and images lifted from the Cumhuriyet trial document reached comical levels when a photo used as part of the indictment for the court session against the Taraf staff featured the caption “The Defendant Can Dündar”
The defendants all deny the charges levelled against them and IoC have stated concerns that the trial this past Friday is aimed at stifling opposition voices within Turkey.
The signatories of the campaign to free Altan and his colleagues, which include several national and international free speech and journalism rights organisations, are ARTICLE 19, Index on Censorship, EFJ, Norwegian Press Association, Norwegian Journalists’ Union, PEN Germany, Danish PEN, PEN International, and Wales PEN Cymru. Representatives from all these organisations also attended the trial in person.
The government of Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been accused by outside observers of increasingly limiting press freedom in Turkey as his rule is slowly becoming more autocratic. Journalists have accused Erdogan of orchestrating a ‘witch hunt’ against their colleagues. In March of this year, armed police raided the offices of Zaman, a newspaper critical of Erdogan, and it was subsequently closed down. Since the coup, press freedoms have nosedived, with 130 media outlets ordered to cease trading. Even Twitter was temporarily blocked as the coup took place.
HEM Journalism Portal, The Half-Eaten Mind, Twitter, Twitter Inc. https://twitter.com/halfeatenmind/lists/hem-journalism-portal
Index on Censorship, Twitter, Twitter Inc. https://twitter.com/IndexCensorship
“Turkey: Charges must be dropped in high-profile trial of journalists following failed coup” – Index on Citizenship (1 September 2016) https://www.indexoncensorship.org/2016/09/turkey-charges-must-dropped-high-profile-trial-journalists-following-failed-coup/
“Protest against 2015 Koza İpek raid (1).jpg” – Yıldız Yazıcıoğlu and VOA via Wikipedia (28 October 2015) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Protest_against_2015_Koza_%C4%B0pek_raid_(1).jpg
A window view of the BT Tower, in Fitzrovia, central London. I took this picture on the 28th of August, 2012, on the first day at my new office in Tottenham Court Road, after my company relocated there from our old site in Bressenden Place, Victoria which was scheduled for demolition.
The BT Tower, formerly known as the ‘Post Office Tower’, was first built in 1961, with construction completed in 1964. Standing in at 191 metres (627 ft), it was initially devised by the then General Post Office as a means of ferrying telecommunications traffic from London to the rest of the UK. It was the tallest structure in London up until the 1980s, and had its own rooftop restaurant which sadly closed in the same decade.
ADDITIONAL SOURCE/IMAGE CREDIT:
“BT Tower” – Wikipedia/Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Tower
Vijay Shah via Facebook.
When dealing with those awkward questions or when someone is giving you a piece of their mind, sometimes it is better to keep those lips sealed and let the absence of voice do the talking. There are those who have a habit of saying things to provoke or upset and silence is the best way to frustrate them.
This quote was said to be uttered by Ali ibn Abi Talib, the Imam Ali or the fourth Caliph in the early days of Islam. He was also a cousin and son-in-law of the founder of Islam, the prophet Muhammed.
Forgive me Allah, Facebook, Facebook Inc. https://www.facebook.com/LordForgiveMe/
Alia Hellz Bachell.
Harrow, UNITED KINGDOM
In the wake of a massive rise in reported hate crimes such as racist attacks and taunts following the outcome of the EU referendum in June 2016, a London local government body has launched a specialised helpline for its residents to report incidents and crimes of xenophobia, anti-Semitism and other forms of hate.
Harrow Council, in north-east Greater London, had set up the service after several people in the borough of Harrow came forward to report ‘low level’ incidences of verbal racial abuse, which the council’s iHarrow portal stated was “causing distress amongst community members” in the borough of 215,000, one of the most ethnically and culturally diverse among London’s 32 borough areas. The council also expressed concerns that while Harrow escaped the worst of the spike in hate-motivated incidents in the wake of Brexit, much of these crimes were going unreported to the police.
The new hotline, 0800 138 1625, which is free to call and runs 24 hours a day, was set up by the council in tandem with the Stop Hate UK service. The service is also being promoted across the borough to encourage people to speak about hate crimes affecting them, their families, friends and communities.
People who witness others being personally attacked or having their property attacked because of their disability, race, religion, creed, sexual orientation or gender identity and where it is not an emergency can call the helpline in strict confidence. People whose first language is not English can arrange for a translator to return their call within five working days by simply leaving their contact details.
Half-Eaten Mind, Twitter, Twitter Inc. https://twitter.com/halfeatenmind
iharrow.com, Twitter, Twitter Inc. https://twitter.com/iharrow
“Report Hate Crime in Harrow – 0800 138 1625” – iharrow.com (16 August 2016) http://www.iharrow.com/council/report-hate-crime-in-harrow-0800-138-1625/
Manchester, UNITED KINGDOM
New Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho, who watched his team steer to an impressive 2-0 victory over Southampton FC at home yesterday, revealed today how he convinced star Belgian international Marouane Fellaini to shine since the beginning of this season and the first matches of the ex-Chelsea manager’s tenure at the Red Devils.
So far, under the ‘Special One’s ‘ leadership, Manchester United have successfully held against both Southampton and Bournemouth. Fellaini, famed for his impressive skills and height, not to mention his distinctive golden Afro hairstyle had put in much effort in the central attack in both Premier League wins this past week alongside Ander Herrera and new £40 million signing Paul Pogba. The manager said a phone call he made to the Belgian helped bring about a ‘change in the relationship’ between him and Fellaini, he told Manchester United’s football news team.
After the Red Devils’ fast-paced triumph yesterday evening, Mourinho was quick to praise Fellaini and revealed the phone call, made earlier this summer as Mourinho was easing into his new role and anxious to prove his worth in the eyes of his players.
“Fellaini is playing well,” Mourinho told reporters after the final whistle at Old Trafford. “It’s a complete change in the relationship and I am happy with the result. Maybe a simple phone call can make a difference to a player who was feeling he was not loved, to a player who when the [transfer] market opened everyone was saying he was leaving. Everyone was saying he wasn’t for me.
“Maybe a simple phone call then, after my presentation as Manchester United manager, changed a lot. I said to him, ‘Forget everything you read. With me you don’t leave, for sure’,” he continued.
“Maybe that confidence in him was unexpected. The more organised the team is, the easier it is for players to feel confident. He has played will with Michael Carrick, he has played well with Ander Herrera, he has played well with Paul [Pogba].”
Mourinho also had praises for the strong support of the team’s fans, who came out in force yesterday to see the Devils steam ahead with two impressive goals from the formidable Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He also further emphasised the improved relationships and strength of his squad.
“I am very happy,” he said. “The crowd was magnificent and they are creating a good relationship with the team, with the players. Even players who in previous years I could feel the relationship wasn’t the best.
“I’m happy with the result and the performance [against Southampton]. It’s difficult for us to be better in this moment. The opponents are good, they have good quality. You have to be mentally strong to cope with it but then we score goals and we are always in control.
“I think Pogba and Ibrahimovic were very, very good, but I could say the same about Mkhitaryan in the last 20 minutes when he showed his quality. What pleases me more is the others rising to a different level like Valencia and Blind, and I’ve already mentioned Marouane.”
Manchester will next face Hull City away at the KC Stadium on Saturday 27th August 2016 at 5.30pm.